Thursday, March 01, 2007

Tapai Ko Hunuhuncha?

Who are you?

I don't mean that in the "Oh, I wouldn't consider myself postmodern, but I loved Garden State because it raises questions with no discernable answers" sense of the question, but I mean truly: who, in your heart, are you? Really? Do you know?

I've been chewing on that question for years, to some extent because I want to know the purpose for which I was created, but mostly because each time I come to a painstaking conclusion, it seems like I endure a drastic shift in character and tumble further down the rabbit hole. I think I've got myself figured out, and then circumstances and the revelation of sin cast new light on all these areas of my heart and character that I've completely failed to notice in the past. The apostle Paul, in a rather blatantly obvious statement when taken at surface value, really understood the tender need of the human heart for the exposition of sin when he wrote in Ephesians 5:13-14, "But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light." (ESV) If God truly is "the Father of lights, with whom there is no shifting shadow," as referenced by James, then there really is no way to see into the depths of your own soul without the catalyst of the refinement that comes via the Holy Spirit. We cannot see these things on our own, for we are the willingly blinded when it comes to conviction.

If we are made in the image of our Creator, then we cannot really understand who we were intended to be before the creation of the world without knowing Him personally and intimately. Sanctification is the process by which we are purified, but as we are called to and drawn toward the Father, we gain a deeper understanding of who we are in reference to the working of His glory, and how deeply the nature of our flesh separates us from that working and that power. So it seems that each time I'm engulfed in the flames of trials, I come out a little stronger, a little purer, and a little more sure of just who and what I'm becoming.

Case in point: Jason and I have embarked on a teaching series based on the parables of Jesus with the orphans for our evening devotions twice a week, and I was reluctantly drawn to the story of the Pharisee and the tax collector (Luke 18:9-14). I say reluctantly because the first time I perused the passage, I knew that my teaching it would be as much for myself as for the children. As Christ presents the sory, it contrasts the Pharisee, whose holy exterior conceals a heart yearning for personal glory at the expense of God's, with a tax collector, who is so deeply moved by his enslavement to sin in his heart that he cannot bear to present himself in the temple to cry out in prayer. One raises his head toward heaven and touts himself as a saint; the other acknowledges his depravity with a broken spirit and self-flagellation.

As I worked through the meanings of exaltation and humility (no simple task when you're speaking to a mixed crowd of 6 year-olds and 19 year-olds), all I was really aware of was the bright red tint of my face and the shame I felt in the midst of the conviction of the very words I was speaking. A particular verse that has haunted me over the last six months is John 5:44, which poses the pointed question of, "How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?"
The interior of my heart has been the site of an intense conflict between the righteous cleansing nature of the Holy Spirit and the depravity of my pride and self-exaltation during this most recent and current season of my life, one that will continue to rage as long as I glorify the work of my hands over the work of my Savior. That sucks. A lot. And as weak of a realization as that is, the words just will not come to express how bitter I feel over the way I've treasured my deeds and my reputation over the relationship that defines the core of who I am, who I am being transformed into. Somewhere in the midst of the humility that's being ground into this pitiful frame my soul inhabits, my heart is being changed; but that doesn't mean I feel it every day.

I've touched on it in a previous post, but I'll lay it out here again: when I hopped my intercontinental flight to the country of Nepal, my heart was very much in "Carve out glory for Jordan" mode. Very little changed in that regard for the first few months I was here, but God, in His infinite sovereignty, decided to teach me a lesson in humility through the physical pain of a month-long struggle with stomach bacteria and skin boils. Lying in my sleeping bag, half-delirious from ibuprofen overdoses and unable to even sit up due to the literal pain in my butt, I received some stern tutelage in the purpose of pain and the consequences that will always, always accompany sin. And my sins are legion, or at least they feel that way at times...

I don't feel like the same person anymore, and its encouraging to receive emails and letters from old friends (thanks Marquel, you really lifted my spirits last night) who unconsciously confirm the evidence of my struggles and subsequent victories. Writing may be catharsis for the soul, but the careful words of an interceding brother or sister speak more truth to me about what God hath wrought in me (I don't have any idea what the present tense of "wrought" is, else I would've said that instead). So keep those words of encouragement coming; I need them dearly right now.

This has been a tremendously hard week for me emotionally, and for no specific reason. I've felt very alone, which is surprising considering how immersed I've been in the makeshift videshi community of believers that Jason and I have gotten involved with through our church. Melancholy attacks at the most inopportune moments, and while I'm not a ball of energy by nature, scripture requires that I be engaged with community by necessity. The body was created to be interdependent for a specific purpose, just as the Church's body is likewise interdependent -- we need each other! So pray for my heart right now, as it is exhausted by the weight of emotional isolation from other believers and self-imposed exile from the presence of the Spirit. I don't have to live like this, and I don't want to. I need you beloved....

Bear out.

4 comments:

Compston said...

All I can say is that I will pray for you my friend.

Mark Storm said...

Dude, you blog long and hard. Very interesting. Apparently we would be competitive in trivial pursuit.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you are suffering from “God in a box”. You have decided how God is and are making him fit in that box. From my experience with God, particularly with God in Nepal; when I was at home where things are comparatively so much easier and you are in your comfort zone I had thought of God a certain way. I talked to God long and frequently about things and felt lead by him.

Once in Nepal where things are so tough and just so strange, people are suffering from so many fixable things, my view of God did not exactly fit any more. It wasn’t that God was not there, just that the way I had thought about him no longer fit. I could not feel him. Here I was trying to do a nice thing and he wasn’t there and things were not working out. I was sick all the time, people at home were having major problems, I could not sleep more then a few hours at a time, I could not find food I liked to eat, I didn’t want to get worms and everybody seemed to have worms, I thought leeches were horrible, I don’t like barking biting stray dogs, I don’t like seeing children living off garbage and feeling helpless to do anything about the situation.

No one knows God; they will tell you they do but God is just too big. The clearest things he said are love God and love your neighbor as your self; everything else can be interpreted in so many different ways. You kind of get it but then again maybe you don’t. A lot of things happen and you end up wondering why, that is just the way it goes-you have to have faith. Here are the off the wall conclusions I came to


-Give God some credit. If God wants something done or someone he will go after that person; he will make it happen. He is pretty clear when he wants something done. You have free will and he can’t make you but you have already told him you will do what ever he wants so don’t worry about it. You are out there, you are a Christian person. Be a good example, help people along the way, be kind and loving in what you do. Enjoy things and find joy in your life. Following Christ can be a load of fun. You don’t have to feel so guilty all the time. God made you a certain way, he is happy with you.

-You think you are there to teach or help others. I am sure you are; but maybe you are the person God really wants to learn the lesson, what ever that may be.

-Nope! I don’t think God made you sick to learn a lesson. God is a lot nicer then I am and I would not do that to you. Everyone in Nepal is either mildly sick or really sick. Everything is contaminated with germs, there is no sanitation, and it is unavoidable. If you ever feel mad at God don’t worry about it. He can take it and you will come around, just hang in there.

-You mentioned how bad you felt somewhere in this blog about walking past terrible situations and not doing anything. When this happens and you feel so bad, sit down later when you can think and –think, think, think, of what you can do next time. I don’t know what you can do. You are going to have to try some different things out. Carry an extra water bottle, or get several juice boxes and throw it to the kids in the garbage? Talk to people and find out what if anything can be done, about the street kids. What is the situation, what if anything is being done? If you feel bad walking past it, try to do something about it. Maybe it will not be the right thing but at least you are trying and learning.

-I read that Mother Teresa said that “once” as a young nun she really felt God’s presence and felt he was telling her what to do, and that is what she eventually ended up doing. She felt a personal unmistakable call from God once. I think that is fantastic. I need so much hand holding; that he would tell her once and know that is all she needed. I love her quote “I know God won’t give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish he didn’t trust me so much”.

Hang in there and don't worry so much

Ramón said...

Prayers are being lifted from Portland, brother.

In China this summer, and so far this year in Portland, I've always felt most alone and melancholy in the times when God has me and my little community of saints on the verge of some breakthrough, both in us and in our ministry.

I'll pray the same would be true for you.