Sunday, October 15, 2006

A Death in Nepal

I wish I had better news for you, but it's been a hard, hard weekend: a death in our Nepali family. I'd like you to share in my grief, so here's a brief eulogy for the departed that I've written up...

Alas, alack, alas! My brother, you were so young, less than 2 years, barely a vapor in the course of human history, and yet... You changed my life. In my darkest of hours, and the moments of insane joy, you were there to share, and even encourage me in my laughter and my tears. We danced. We were a public spectacle together, the laughing stock of Garland Ave. and the Durbar Marg in Kathmandu. Driving across the country, pounding I-40, you were my solace and my ministry partner. You imparted words of wisdom to me in the form of John Piper and Ryan Adams ("I'm as calm as a fruit stand in New York, and maybe as strange"). You understood me better than any could ever aspire to, and you anticipated my moods and my wounds better than I was often capable of. Some would say that outwardly, you lacked any expression: cold-faced, sterile, white, small and unassuming; but they didn't get to know the interior of you like I. I will miss you terribly, and when your replacement arrives, I will try my best to cling to my memories of your touch and your digital soul. It is with a heavy heart, and a heavy FedEx package, that I deliver you back to your Father, Apple Inc. Godspeed iPod... Godspeed...

1 comment:

Scott Sanders said...

You know the beginning of this posting is gonna mess with a lot of people. You're still a punk after all these years >:-p.